How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118199
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a dismissed warrant from 25 years ago from being on

Customer Question

I have a dismissed warrant from 25 years ago from being on diversion program for receiving and concieling property. What can I do to get my handgun permit ? I'm in Tn.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the case was dismissed and you were not convicted, because it was diversion, then you should not have any issue possessing a handgun. If the sheriff will not issue a carry permit, then you need to go to court to file a motion to expunge the charge and ask the court as part of that proceeding to issue a certificate of rehabilitation which would allow the sheriff to issue the permit, which as you know is at their discretion.