How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28021
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

And thank you in advance. There is a warrant issued against

Customer Question

Hello and thank you in advance. There is a warrant issued against me for a misdemeanor (not completing court ordered treatment when offered a job overseas). What would happen to me if I tried to cross the border into Canada by bus? Also, what would happen to me if I showed up at Seattle Municipal Court to face the music? In 2017 it will be ten years since the DUI was issued. Does it disappear after ten years? THANK YOU so much for your help and information.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The warrant is going to remain active and will not just drop off or disappear. What you do need to be aware of it that if you are stopping by the police or go through customs and your name is ***** ***** the system and/or your passport is checked, this could pop up and you would be taken into custody. It may be easier to just face the music, file a motion with the court to lift the warrant and reset the court case, complete the court ordered treatment now and explain the reason for your actions. Seeing how old the case it, the State and the Judge may be inclined to allow this to be resolved and dismissed if you do what is required There is no guarantee but you should also retain an attorney to assist. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem is that I am only here for a few weeks and still work overseas so cannot complete the treatment here (though I did complete an inpatient treatment program two years ago - would that count towards completing the court ordered treatment?), and retaining a lawyer costs about $4000, which is more than I can afford on this trip.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
I do understand. It likely would not count since it was not ordered by the court and you do need to comply with the conditions and terms of the sentence imposed. If you can not retain counsel nor can stay here for long enough to handle this, then you do take the risk of getting picked up. I know it is not what you wanted to hear but I need to be upfront and honest, based upon what you shared