How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26776
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I feel terrible about what I did but bot***** *****ne I did it.

Customer Question

I feel terrible about what I did but bot***** *****ne I did it. I resently got cough shoplifting I did not get arrested but was told I do have to show up to court eventually when I get summit for court. I read it is possible to get charges reduces or something like that, HOW does this happen, what do I need to do? I have a license to sell insurance in the state of California, HOW will this affect my license getting renewed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
A criminal conviction for a fraud offense could cause your licensing authority to suspend you. The citation you received has the force and effect of an arrest. You weren't taken into custody, but it will appear as an arrest on your criminal history.
To protect your license, you should have a lawyer with you on your court date. If he gets on this soon and this is a first offense, he may be able to negotiate a reduction or a dismissal with the DA. Whether he succeeds will depend upon the DA assigned to the case as well as the facts and circumstances of the case. But even if he cannot do that, on a first arrest, you would qualify for one of California's diversion programs.
Diversion involves a brief period of probation, during which you would perform some community service, take anti-shoplifting classes, pay some fines and stay out of further difficulty with the law during the probation period. Once you complete all of that the judge dismisses the charge against you so that you do not have to carry a conviction on your record.
If you do not know where to find a California criminal lawyer, try the California Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. For a fee of around $50, they will refer you to a lawyer who can take on your case, and they throw in a free half hour consultation with the lawyer.
Good luck!