How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26796
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a fourth dui in Minnesota which is a felony in 2008.

Customer Question

I received a fourth dui in Minnesota which is a felony in 2008. I am done with probation in October of this year. What do I need to do to get my right to vote back along with the right to have a hunting rifle.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
In Minnesota, your civil rights are all returned to you after your sentence is completely discharged and your case closed.
Your crime would not be considered a crime of violence, so your state gun rights would be restored along with the other civil rights. You can see the crimes of violence that would keep you from getting back your gun rights here:
That said, the Federal government also takes away your gun rights with a state felony conviction. If you fail a NICs check however, you should be able to appeal that on the grounds that all of your civil rights have been restored.

Related Criminal Law Questions