Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I received a fourth dui in Minnesota which is a felony in 2008.

Customer Question
I am done with probation...
I received a fourth dui in Minnesota which is a felony in 2008. I am done with probation in October of this year. What do I need to do to get my right to vote back along with the right to have a hunting rifle.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/30/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
In Minnesota, your civil rights are all returned to you after your sentence is completely discharged and your case closed.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.165
Your crime would not be considered a crime of violence, so your state gun rights would be restored along with the other civil rights. You can see the crimes of violence that would keep you from getting back your gun rights here:
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.712#stat.624.712.5
That said, the Federal government also takes away your gun rights with a state felony conviction. If you fail a NICs check however, you should be able to appeal that on the grounds that all of your civil rights have been restored.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD