Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I am a new jersey resident. From 2005-2008 I have a long list of arrests because of drug a

Customer Question
buse. My last charge was...
I am a new jersey resident. From 2005-2008 I have a long list of arrests because of drug a buse. My last charge was may 2008 for burglary. I have three convictions for burglary along with a couple charges for possession. Since my release from prison in 2009, I have completely changed my life. I am a licensed insurance producer but my record is holding me back from furthering my career. Is there anyway I can have my records expunged?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/27/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. New Jersey will not expunge all types of indictable offenses. You can see the list of what cannot be expunged here: http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/52-2.html However, as you can see in the statute, they will also not expunge more than one conviction, and it is a precondition that you have no prior convictions before or after it, other than up to 2 disorderly persons offenses. Unfortunately, this means that unless/until there is a substantial change in New Jersey's expungement laws, you will not be able to remove these convictions from your record and resume work in the insurance field. You can seek a pardon from the governor of New Jersey, but that would not erase your record. Nevertheless, pardons, if you can get one, should still be helpful on the employment front in reducing discrimination based on your prior record.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD