How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26771
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a new jersey resident. From 2005-2008 I have a long list of arrests because of drug a

Customer Question

I am a new jersey resident. From 2005-2008 I have a long list of arrests because of drug abuse. My last charge was may 2008 for burglary. I have three convictions for burglary along with a couple charges for possession. Since my release from prison in 2009, I have completely changed my life. I am a licensed insurance producer but my record is holding me back from furthering my career. Is there anyway I can have my records expunged?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. New Jersey will not expunge all types of indictable offenses. You can see the list of what cannot be expunged here: However, as you can see in the statute, they will also not expunge more than one conviction, and it is a precondition that you have no prior convictions before or after it, other than up to 2 disorderly persons offenses. Unfortunately, this means that unless/until there is a substantial change in New Jersey's expungement laws, you will not be able to remove these convictions from your record and resume work in the insurance field. You can seek a pardon from the governor of New Jersey, but that would not erase your record. Nevertheless, pardons, if you can get one, should still be helpful on the employment front in reducing discrimination based on your prior record.

Related Criminal Law Questions