How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26776
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I also received a seizure notice. It was large some

Customer Question

I also received a seizure notice. It was for a large some of money, that a young and not so smart friend just stuck it inside a book and mailed it to me. I am on line right now trying to find the form for the Petition for Remission or mitigation of the Forfeiture to the U.sS. Postal service. But cannot find the form. Went today to talk to a lawyer service and he said he found it when he googled it. I have all the bills of sale (invoices) as well as pictures and samples of the goods I sold my friend and his organization for a festival in Texas. I just need help getting my money back. It is mine and it was worked for hard and honestly...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with this question. There is no online form. There is no specific form that has to be used. But you can adapt the atttached template to suit your purposes:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the form but I really need some help with the legal language on the form. I no longer have internet at my house and have to use it intermittently at the club house at my trailer park and will get the forms and ask the questions. I am happy to hear from you. I paid money to this service and then nothing happened. I will be in touch….
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Please ask your question so that I can assist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the name of the form, which can be found on the internet is called "Petition for Remission or Mitigation of a Criminal or civil Forfeiture action by the United States Department of Justice. On the Letter I got from the Post office it said to submit a "Petition for Remission or Mitigation of the Forfeiture to the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. I hope I have the correct form. It is 5 pages. If you can look up the form it would be easier to ask the questions.In the first second section after name, ss number, address etc. It asks what I am petitioning for. I don't understand legal terms so it is confusing. Basically I want my money back that they took.Section 1 is fairly difficult to understand. I am petitioning for the remission of the property described below because I am (check all that apply)___ a victim of the crime underlying, the forfeiture of the forfeited property, or related offense (complete sections I, III, and V.___ an owner of the forfeited property (complete sections I, II, and V).___ a lien holder of the forfeited property (complete sections I, II, and V) ------pretty sure this does not apply to me.I cannot find a case name or a case number, should I call the post office to find out?I am pretty sure I am only applicable for the second declaration (___ an wonder for the forfeited property - and not the first one a victim of the crime underlying the forfeiture of forfeited property….I have the invoices of the property I sold to the individuals and I have an invoice of the specialty tarps I made for this group. I have to send this in by July 13. Hoping you can help me. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
You are correct. Under the circumstances you've mentioned, you are simply the owner of the property and have to complete section I, II and V.
There should be a number on the notice of forfeiture form, but if you cannot find that, yes, call the post office.