How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27044
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got charged two years ago and started a drug class but left

Customer Question

I got charged two years ago and started a drug class but left before they could test me because I was told they would put,e in jail because I haven't renewed my pot card what should I do it is my first and it was planted on me so my ex roommate could get cash for keys. The roommate then called the police after throwing me against the wall a few times. I never pressed charges and the times I called about it they said there was no record of it. Now I am trying to take care of it. I am homeless and my Greencard is being renewed so I can get back on disability. I cannot do the jail time because of my physical degenerative disc disease , lesion and prosthetic disc in my neck and my depression hasn't gotten better I also had a mini stroke a few months back and this stress is gonna kill me.what should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Is there a warrant for your arrest for your failure to complete your classes? If so, you're likely going to be unable to renew your green card because the warrant will turn up.
If you are homeless and without the means to hire a lawyer, you need to go to your local public defender's office for assistance before you try to renew your green card. You have made this situation very difficult for yourself by leaving the program two years ago. Without hands-on help, if you try to return to court to take care of all of this, you could end up in jail, where Immigration would not be happy to find you.
The public defender cannot take on your case until assigned to it by the judge, but in an emergency -- and this certainly looks like one -- you can get some hand-on advice and possibly an attorney to go to court with you and return you on the warrant as safely as your circumstances would allow. With proof of your medical condition and a lawyer, the court may be willing to lift the warrant and allow you to remain at liberty to resolve the case.