How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was charged two years ago as a juvenile armed robbery

Customer Question

My son was charged two years ago as a juvenile armed robbery at a convenience store spent 18 months in a program in juvenile hall came out 2 months ago as a gang member he didn't go to his probation hearing due to getting high just got picked up on a juvenile violation of probation warrant he is now 19 the original sentence was 5 years in youth authority how much time does it look like he may serve
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardThe violation of the probation may mean that he will serve any remaining balance on that sentence, if violated. For instance, if in that case he was given 60 months or 5years and then served 18 months, less the time he spent in the community where he had no further criminal charges, say that is 2 months, the court could impose the balance of what would appear to be 40 months.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
If there is a separate charge that he has been charged with NOW as an adult, that sentence will also be imposed, but generally it is to be served concurrently - at the same time as any other sentence and not consecutively which means one after the other. Because one is a juvenile case and the other is an adult case, it would mean his attorney would need to make the request for the sentences to run concurrently. I suggest, that as it stands, without a new conviction, should the court terminate his probation based on a violation of not reporting, he could get the 40 months imposed.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you