Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

IF I stole something from my employer on 30 different days…

Customer Question
IF I stole something from...
IF I stole something from my employer on 30 different days and they were all low priced items, would that be one misdemeanor of petty theft or multiple misdemeanors?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Andrea, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Andrea
Andrea, Lawyer
Hi, y name is Andrea and I will be glad to Answer your question. Unfortunately, every item that was stolen is counted as a separate offense. So, if an item was stolen on each of the 30 days, there would be 30 charges of petty theft. However, if the prosecutor sees that it is 30 different thefts from the same "victim", the prosecutor might want to add up all the values and upgrade the offense. The Attorney representing the defendant should speak with the prosecutor about negotiating a plea.
could it be negotiated to avoid jail time
Are you there?
Also, if I took a UPS envelope from my employer and it was addressed to the Manager being shipped from PA to NY, would that be regular theft, mail theft or mail fraud? It is UPS and not USPS>
You did not mention the State in which this occurred.
Your question of whether the sentence can be negotiated to avoid jail time cannot readily be Answered in this forum. It would depend on whether or not you have any priors, what type they were - misdemeanors, felonies, etc., how many priors there were, what your prior record score was, and what the Sentencing Guidelines state for these thefts and also if the victim is in agreement with the proposed sentence. In addition, the fact that you took a UPS envelope addressed to the manager and it was being shipped from Pennsylvania to New York.
There are too many variable which are unknown and I would be doing you an injustice, if I answered without knowing any of the above information, so I am going to respectfully ***** ***** of your question,
and allow other experts the opportunity to assist you,
Thank you for bringing your questions to JustAnswer,
are you there?