How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13504
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If an employee is mentally ill and takes certain items that

Customer Question

If an employee is mentally ill and takes certain items that are all of low value while he is working for a month at his job and also takes like $3 dollars from the register because of the way the back of the dollar looks and it's a first time offense can
they resolve this out of court? Also can jail time be avoided with a diversion program or acd? Also what is a diversion program or acd? Do these things have to be done before court or when court starts? Finally, if you plead guilty and it's all a first offense
can you avoid jailtime and pay fines?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.Whether the matter can be resolved out of court is up to the employer and whether they wish to keep it out of court or whether they want to have the employee arrested. That's not really a legal question, because it's the employer's choice.A diversion program or ACD (adjudication in contemplation of dismissal) is offered in some states where prior to commencement of a trial or a defendant enters a guilty plea, the mater is diverted or adjourned for a period of time (typically 6 months or 1 year). During this period, a defendant is expected to "stay out of trouble". They may also have to fulfill other requirements -such as completing an anti-theft class, submitting to drug or alcohol testing, etc. The conditions can vary. If the defendant successfully completes the terms, then the charge is dropped. Jail time is avoided. For a first offense for a minor theft charge, it is unlikely, even if a person pleads guilty or is found guilty, that they would go to jail. Rather they would likely get probation which would include things like a fine, court costs, and community service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.
I do not make phone calls on this site to customers, I am sorry. You can reply back to me if you'd like here, with any follow-up questions you may have, I'm happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you located in New York?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.
I am, but I am a licensed Florida lawyer. Furthermore, attorneys on this site cannot represent customers. We can only provide legal information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so where can I get a good new york lawyer?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.
The NY State Bar Association has a lawyer referral service that can help you find a qualified attorney in your area. You can find that information here:, I like searching for attorneys on or --both sites have attorney reviews and ratings and are very easy to use.

Related Criminal Law Questions