Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I didn't report wages years and gor food stamps I'm an

Customer Question
I didn't report wages for...
I didn't report wages for 4 years and gor food stamps I'm an single mother and my parents depend on me they set me up for an interview what do o do now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/19/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Are you coming forward voluntarily to try to make this right? Or did you receive a notice from the state that you were being investigated for fraud? What US state are you in?
They send me a letter from the recovery unit at children's and family to send my pays tubs Bankstateement and go for an interview to the children and families office
Will I go to jail or can I request a payment plan and repay
Florida
Thanks for the reply.
You really need to show up with a lawyer, because you are required to report your wages, and your failure to do so will make the authorities suspect intentional fraud. When that happens even if you come forward like your doing to show your income and set up a payment schedule to repay what you were not entitled to, your matter can be turned over to the prosecutor and you can end up facing felony charges.
Prison time is possible for benefits fraud. Generally, what the government wants most is money back, and it would rather not lose more money paying for a defendant's food and housing. The usual offer from the DA in these types of prosecutions involves probation and restitution to the government, however there is no guarantee of that. Much depends on the facts and circumstances as well as how much money you are believed to have unlawfully taken.
Are you a lawyer in miami florida
I didn't get an answer
Sorry for the delay, but I took a break to eat my dinner.
JustAnswer is not a law firm. None of the legal experts here can represent you on your case. All we can do is to provide legal information so that you will have a better idea of what you are facing.
If you want to find a Miami criminal lawyer, I can suggest contacting the Florida State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of around $50 for the referral,which includes a half hour fee consultation with the attorney.
http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=FL
You could also try a commercial legal referral service. One that has been around for a long time is Martindale.com. Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client rated, which can help you make a choice.
As for myself, I am licensed in New York but have represented several defendants post-arrest on benefit fraud matters.
You will be able to set up a repayment plan and the government will be happy about that. Whether they will still want to prosecute you, however, will be up to the District Attorney who will later evaluate your case.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD