How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26789
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I didn't report wages years and gor food stamps I'm an

Customer Question

I didn't report wages for 4 years and gor food stamps I'm an single mother and my parents depend on me they set me up for an interview what do o do now
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Are you coming forward voluntarily to try to make this right? Or did you receive a notice from the state that you were being investigated for fraud? What US state are you in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They send me a letter from the recovery unit at children's and family to send my pays tubs Bankstateement and go for an interview to the children and families office
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will I go to jail or can I request a payment plan and repay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
You really need to show up with a lawyer, because you are required to report your wages, and your failure to do so will make the authorities suspect intentional fraud. When that happens even if you come forward like your doing to show your income and set up a payment schedule to repay what you were not entitled to, your matter can be turned over to the prosecutor and you can end up facing felony charges.
Prison time is possible for benefits fraud. Generally, what the government wants most is money back, and it would rather not lose more money paying for a defendant's food and housing. The usual offer from the DA in these types of prosecutions involves probation and restitution to the government, however there is no guarantee of that. Much depends on the facts and circumstances as well as how much money you are believed to have unlawfully taken.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you a lawyer in miami florida
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't get an answer
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, but I took a break to eat my dinner.
JustAnswer is not a law firm. None of the legal experts here can represent you on your case. All we can do is to provide legal information so that you will have a better idea of what you are facing.
If you want to find a Miami criminal lawyer, I can suggest contacting the Florida State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of around $50 for the referral,which includes a half hour fee consultation with the attorney.
You could also try a commercial legal referral service. One that has been around for a long time is Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client rated, which can help you make a choice.
As for myself, I am licensed in New York but have represented several defendants post-arrest on benefit fraud matters.
You will be able to set up a repayment plan and the government will be happy about that. Whether they will still want to prosecute you, however, will be up to the District Attorney who will later evaluate your case.