Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

In the State of Texas is an 11 year old juvenile charged with…

Customer Question
In the State of Texas...
In the State of Texas is an 11 year old juvenile charged with 4 counts of aggrevated sexual assault (2 kids) at risk to be put on a sex offender registry? Or, will the juvenile sentence entail only rehabilitation therapy? What will the typical sentencing be in a juvenile court?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/17/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 3 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
In general Texas requires juveniles to register and to provide notification of residency in the community. In particular, if the complainant is within 4 years of the juvenile, registration is not required.
There's no typical sentence because the prosecutor has the discretion to move the case to adult court where he can face more serious sanctions. It all depends on the facts and circumstances of the case, the strength of the state's case, as well as the personal and criminal history of the juvenile defendant and the results of the intake assessment.
Pleas confirm as to what you mean by: "In particular, if the complainant is within 4 years of the juvenile, registration is not required." Does that specifically refer to the victims? Ther victims were 45 and 6. The perpetrator was 11. Can you please clarify for me. Thank you.
The victims were 4 and 6.
Sure.
The law in your state says that if the defendant and the complainants were less than 4 years apart, the defendant would not have to register. If the complainants here are 4 and 6, then registration is required as there is more than a 4 year gap between the defendant and the complainant.