How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27082
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I fear I may have committed fraud

Customer Question

I fear I may have committed fraud
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Please explain and ask your question. Use the reply tab below to respond.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to determine what to do if I may have committed fraud
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was doing some subcontract work as a ranch manager and I took a brokerage fee off the top of a cattle deal with out promotion
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by "without promotion?"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Without permission sorry autocorrect
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I should have asked this before and I apologize for another question, but what US state are you in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
If you held yourself out as somebody or something that you were not in order to take money or property you were not entitled to have, that would be a form of fraud.
The amount of money wrongfully obtained would determine the seriousness of the offense. In Texas, if the amount is $1,500 or over the charge would be a felony.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will I be arrested for it or subpoenaed to court?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Either is possible.
You just need to make sure that if you are approached about this by anyone, you do not discuss what you did until you have first discussed it with a local lawyer, who may want to be there with you to protect your rights, if he or she believes you ought to say anything at all.

Related Criminal Law Questions