How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently arrested while black out drunk

Customer Question

I was recently arrested while black out drunk for agrivated dwi(refusedchemical test), shoplifting, and open container. My arraignment is tomorrow morning.
I'm new to this and just had a bad night, no priors other than a few traffic tickets.
I don't have the money to pay for an attorney but I know after I'm arraigned I can get a public defender. I's there any advice as to how I should plea and go about this hearing in generl.
I'm only 21 and I have no idea what to do much like when I woke up in jail 2 weeks ago. Please help and thank you for any advice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
I am sorry to hear of your situation.
I suggest, that you will plead not guilty at the arraignment. That way you can request a Public Defender. The court will set a trial date, but your attorney will be able to discuss with you and the District Attorney a plea deal that will help keep your jail time at a minimum and your fines reduced.
The aggravated DWI has a possible penalty of up to 90 days, but a mandatory minimum of 45 days. That means the court must give you at least 48 hours. And any time you spent in jail waiting for release may be applied to that 48 hours.
So I suggest, you plead Not Guilty, request the Public Defender and work on a plea deal in your benefit