Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was recently arrested while black out drunk

Customer Question
for agrivated dwi(refusedchemical test), shoplifting...
I was recently arrested while black out drunk for agrivated dwi(refusedchemical test), shoplifting, and open container. My arraignment is tomorrow morning.
I'm new to this and just had a bad night, no priors other than a few traffic tickets.
I don't have the money to pay for an attorney but I know after I'm arraigned I can get a public defender. I's there any advice as to how I should plea and go about this hearing in generl.
I'm only 21 and I have no idea what to do much like when I woke up in jail 2 weeks ago. Please help and thank you for any advice.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/11/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 3 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
I am sorry to hear of your situation.
I suggest, that you will plead not guilty at the arraignment. That way you can request a Public Defender. The court will set a trial date, but your attorney will be able to discuss with you and the District Attorney a plea deal that will help keep your jail time at a minimum and your fines reduced.
The aggravated DWI has a possible penalty of up to 90 days, but a mandatory minimum of 45 days. That means the court must give you at least 48 hours. And any time you spent in jail waiting for release may be applied to that 48 hours.
So I suggest, you plead Not Guilty, request the Public Defender and work on a plea deal in your benefit