Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can she cause me to go to jail married to two we

Customer Question
Can she cause me to...
Can she cause me to go to jail for being married to two we man when I know I only married one. The first one I did get a marriage license to have a w wedding but I called it off and now 43 years latter she is saying we are married and I know I did not
marry her and why did she wait for 43 years to say any thing about it.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/10/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to be married, you need not only a marriage license, but a ceremony has to be performed in front of someone who is authorized to perform marriages within the state. Just because you obtained a license does not mean you were ever married if no ceremony was ever performed. If that is the case, they cannot charge you with anything.
Even if some mistake was made and you can show you did not believe you were married AND with 43 years passing, no DA in their right mind would ever charge you with any crime.