Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My mom had a public defender from Jasper County Missouri. The…

Customer Question
My mom had a public...
My mom had a public defender from Jasper County Missouri. The Judge ordered her to pay $1400 to public defenders office. Same judge 2 months earlier ordered same public defender be paid $600 for same case. Mom can not afford these fees, is there a waiver I can submit to the courts?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/9/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only
You cannot file anything on behalf of your mom, she has to file it. She has to file a Motion for Waiver of Public Defender Fees and it is not sufficient for her to prove that she cannot now afford the fees, she has to prove that she will not be able to make monthly payments or would not be able to afford the fees in the future, which is why this waiver is rarely granted by the court.
There is no pre-printed form for this you need to put it on a regular motion form and you need to attach a financial statement to show she could not pay this going into the future.