How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118148
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old son was arrested a vacant house

Customer Question

my 16 year old son was arrested for entering a vacant house w friends. citation from police dept. states that a criminal offense was committed. the offense was possession of drug paraphanlia. CYOU wants me to sign him up and pay for boot camp. What are our other options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you do not agree to the alternative diversion offered, the penalty for this criminal offense in MO is up to 1 year in jail, a fine of up to $1000. There is no "restitution" for this type of charge. So that is what he could face if he goes to trial. Boot camp is not the only option CYOU could offer, it is at their discretion, but you can negotiate for substance abuse counseling and community service instead of the boot camp, but again that is at CYOU's option. The program through CYOU is to avoid him having a criminal misdemeanor on his record. The other option, if CYOU will not agree to substance abuse counseling and/or community service, is you would need to hire a local criminal attorney to defend him on the charge and negotiate with them (in some instances, depending on the person at CYOU that you are dealing with, the local attorneys get the best deals out of them).
Just so you are aware, he also could be charged by the DA if it goes beyond diversion with criminal trespassing for being in the house, in addition to the paraphernalia charge.