Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I exchanged explicit pictures with another individual and fear…

Customer Question
I exchanged explicit pictures with...
I exchanged explicit pictures with another individual and fear she may blackmail me for money or post the pictures online.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/8/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Do you have any reason to believe that she would do those things? Are you and the other individual both over the age of 18?
What is your specific question?
I also arranged to meet her last week and was ripped of for $300. But that is no concern.
Is that why you think she's going to try to blackmail you, or is there something else?
Are you and the other individual both over the age of 18?
Yes. But I Assume so from her pictures.
I have no evidence but. I think she will.
I never met her in person but she contacted me.
It's not illegal to exchange pictures with another adult. It IS illegal to blackmail someone. So, if she tells you that she's going to post the pictures unless you pay her, then you can report her to the police. You're not the one who did something wrong in that scenario.
There are currently very few states that have criminal laws preventing someone from posting nude pictures of another person on the internet. But it is a violation of privacy laws, and you could file a lawsuit if she released the pictures. In a situation where you have any reason to believe that she MIGHT release the pictures, then you have the ability to file a lawsuit and request an injunction against her.
Honestly, there is nothing you can do based on just a hunch that she might release the pictures. It's very easy to make yourself sick worrying about something like that, but there's no benefit. If she tries to blackmail you, call the police. The law is on your side. To take action, she either needs to do something with the pictures or give you an articulable reason to think she might.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Since that person contacted me and may not even be a woman should I contact the police now as they may be able to get a photo of where the transaction took place and see this individual.
This person asked me to goto a club which you have to be over 18 to attend so wold that be proof she was over 18.
That may be proof that she has an identification that she's over 18, but unless she gave you some reason to think she's a minor, it's not something that you need to be overly concerned with at the moment.
At the moment, no crime has occurred related to the pictures. You could report that this person took your $300 (unless that was for sexual services). But police would not investigate if you simply tell them that you exchanged nude pictures with another consenting adult. That's legal.
Her photos look like she is in her early 20's and she gave. Me no indication that she was under 18. Also you must be 21 to go to the club I mentioned. Should I just wait to hear from her. Or should I turn over the information to the police.
Yes, you should wait to hear from her. There's nothing else that can be done at this point. Hopefully, she won't contact you again and there will be nothing to worry about.
It seems to be a well organized scam but what if she reports to. Me that she is under 18.
You still don't need to do anything other than delete any and all pictures you have of her, unless she threatens to report you to the police or otherwise do something with the pictures.
I know that it's hard to wait, but there's really no other option here. At this moment, there's no case against you and no crime to report. Hopefully, there never will be.
She emailed the her nude pictures to me first and asked for.a.pic.of myself. Does that help my case against her that she solicited me.
At this moment, you have no case against her. She has done nothing illegal. If she tries to blackmail you, police may be interested to hear that she solicited the pictures.
What I meant was do I have a good defense if she alleges she is a minor with the statement that she goes and invited me to.a.club that you must be 21 to enter and also that she sent nude pics first and requested a nude pic of me.
I had no indication she was under 18. Which she most likely is not.
The fact that she sent you a picture unsolicited would be a defense to you having the picture, because you did not request it or induce her to send it. And if you don't have any reason to believe that she's under 18, there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to worry about it. I have to ask if the people involved are adults because it affects the answer. I certainly did not intend to upset you or give you new reasons for concern.
Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.
I assume they are adults but have never met them.
The best thing to do, in the future, is find out with certainty whether a person is an adult before exchanging nude pictures. This could mean meeting them in person, or it could mean going through websites that pre-screen to ensure that people are over the age of 18.
From.what I have told you do you think.I have cause for concern and if so.what is the concern.
No, I don't. It doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about based on the facts you've given.
If for example she is a minor and goes to.the police could I be arrested.
Yes, you could. But you do not have any reason whatsoever to think that (a) she's a minor or (b) she might go to the police.