Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a domestic abuse charge from 15 years ago.can I get

Customer Question
a firearms permit now?...
I have a domestic abuse charge from 15 years ago.can I get a firearms permit now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/8/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
It doesn't matter how old your case is. A domestic violence conviction will cost you your state and Federal gun rights. Under the Lautenberg Amendment, the loss of your Federal rights is for life, but if you get a pardon from your governor, both your state and Federal right should be restored unless otherwise specified by the pardon.
You can apply for this without a lawyer. The forms are available online via your governor's website:
https://governor.iowa.gov/constituent-services/restoration-of-citizenship-rights
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD