Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Can I file harassment charges on someone who is texting lies

Customer Question

Can I file harassment charges on someone who is texting lies about me to my husband? Now we are fighting and I am going to get a retaining order against him
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

If you have the basis for a restraining order, then you also have the grounds to charge him with harassment. You can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, by going for a criminal restraining order.

To get one, you go to the police, report the harassment, tell them that you are fearful for your safety and in need of a restraining order and that you want charges pressed. If the police agree that you are at risk of potential harm by the defendant, they will charge him with harassment and you'll get your restraining order as well.