Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son is bipolar and out of control at 15. He is currently…

Customer Question
My son is bipolar and...
My son is bipolar and out of control at 15. He is currently on a 6 month probation for assaulting his step father. He is now stealing, and either snorting his own meds or take methamphetamine or something what evidence do I need for the police to keep him if I call?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/8/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

In order to make an arrest, the police only need probable cause. That's just a reasonable belief that your son may be involved in criminal activity. If you give them enough concrete details that would demonstrate you're not just guessing at his involvement witn drugs and theft, that should be sufficient for them to act. If you only have a hunch, that's not going to be good enough.

If he's on supervised probation, you can also call his probation officer. They can bring him in for a random drug test, and a positive result would allow them to violate him.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD