How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27066
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is bipolar and out of control at 15. He is currently

Customer Question

My son is bipolar and out of control at 15. He is currently on a 6 month probation for assaulting his step father. He is now stealing, and either snorting his own meds or take methamphetamine or something what evidence do I need for the police to keep him if I call?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

In order to make an arrest, the police only need probable cause. That's just a reasonable belief that your son may be involved in criminal activity. If you give them enough concrete details that would demonstrate you're not just guessing at his involvement witn drugs and theft, that should be sufficient for them to act. If you only have a hunch, that's not going to be good enough.

If he's on supervised probation, you can also call his probation officer. They can bring him in for a random drug test, and a positive result would allow them to violate him.