Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

If I'm a material witness in a large federal case against the

Customer Question

If I'm a material witness in a large federal case against the state of California and my business is audited by the state franchise tax board a few months after they find out about the evidence I have, can this be witness tampering?
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The case is CALPERS VS State Street Bank. I was hired by State Street as an expert witness and I was also a material witness as I had met with CALPERS previously because of my business. My (jealous) ex business partner found out that I was going to work for State Street and informed the attorney generals office about my evidence. I was audited a few moths later by the FTB.
Intimidation.....?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
The state can further investigate you based on evidence they have received. If the state has a legitimate purpose for the investigation, it would not be witness tampering.