Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I am on federal probation and my probation officer has given

Customer Question
me 3 violations.one of which...
I am on federal probation and my probation officer has given me 3 violations.one of which is for selling drugs.i was arrested for it but the police dropped charges. How much time am i looking at and how long is the process? And do you know of any good counsel in the fort worth texas area
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/4/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Just to clarify, none of the three violations you have been given resulted in a criminal charge that stuck?
Or, it did, and if so, which new criminal charge?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
No new charges
Thank you.
Has the P.O. stated to expect (or the D.A. already has filed) a revocation for parole?
Yes.he said that he has to file it in the court and give my judge the details of what happened. Then he said i will have a federal hearing
I really just need to know a good federal attorney in my area that handles this kind of situation and what kind of time could i be looking at.best case and worst case scenario
Is there anyway that the court can give me something besides prison time
The violations are being around known felons. Falsifying information to po and selling drugs
Thank you.
1) There are no new charges, so one should not be expecting a "new charge" per se.
2) However, what the PO and the US Attorney (i.e. the prosecutor) would be doing is filing to revoke parole, claiming that even though no new charges are pending, the mere acts of the violations means that the rules of the parole were violated, and parole should be revoked.
3) At the revocation, the prosecutor will have to show that these acts actually occurred. If the Judge agrees that they did, the parole can be revoked even if there is no new conviction for anything else.
4) IF this happens, then the Defendant (i.e. you) has the possibility of having the parole revoked, and being incarcerated for whatever time is left of the original sentence. In other words, if you had 5 years, and were paroled at 3 years, and spent one year on parole and then were violated on year 4, you would have 1 more year of incarceration if parole is revoked (although of course there is always potential for parole again).
5) It is at the Judge's discretion to decide on incarceration, or, something else. They can perhaps instead require a monitor device and daily/weekly drug tests but continue the parole. It is at the court's discretion.
Needless to say, I would get counsel now. Let me know if you need help finding someone in your area.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law