Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If a lawyer takes your case when the person who actually committed…

Customer Question
If a lawyer takes your...
If a lawyer takes your case when the person who actually committed the crime is a client of theirs and doesn't associate them purposely and other client is told to accept plea for something she never did ...
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/4/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It would be against the rules of professional conduct for an attorney to represent one person when the attorney's client committed the offense and the position of the person is against the interests of the other client. This would be deemed a conflict of interest and violation of the rules of professional conduct and could be grounds for a civil suit for malpractice and also a basis to vacate any plea or conviction based on ineffective assistance of counsel.