Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

A bar I worked at is claiming I stole about 1000 dollars from…

Customer Question
A bar I worked at...
A bar I worked at is claiming I stole about 1000 dollars from them. I didn't do this. I immediately called a lawyer and was advised to not give a police statement. I received a citation for Grand Larceny and an arraignment date in a month. My lawyer seems confident that I have good defense, I also have one witness. Still, I am terrified.
I have no previous felonies, just a misdemeanor of Negative Op 10 years ago. I haven't even gotten a speeding ticket since then! I come from a wealthy family, have a bachelor's degree, and am employed by a hospital.
If this goes bad, what can I possibly expect? This is in Vermont.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/3/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer. Thanks for requesting me.
In Vermont, you would get charged with Grand Larceny for any theft where the amount of value of what was stolen exceeded $900. The maximum possible penalty on a Grand Larceny is ten years of prison and/or a fine of $5,000. You can read the grand larceny statute for yourself here:
http://law.justia.com/codes/vermont/2012/title13/chapter57/section2501
Ten years is theoretically your maximum risk. But while at least some jail or prison is likely if you were to go all the way to trial and end up convicted, anything remotely approaching 10 years of prison would be unduly harsh for this offense. In fact, $900 is close enough to your $1,000 so that I suspect this felony may be reduced to a misdemeanor.
If you were interested in a plea offer, (I am not suggesting you should be) your worst case scenario would be probation). If you go to trial and lose, some kind of a split sentence (e.g. 6 months of jail, balance of time on probation) would be reasonable for a matter like this.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD