Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was shopping at a Goodwill in Illinois & forgot/failed to…

Customer Question
I was shopping at a...
I was shopping at a Goodwill in Illinois & forgot/failed to see a $4.99 under my back, honestly, I did have any intentions to steal this item walking by 3 or 4 Managers or security. The item was a purse, from opposite my cart you can see the purse handles hanging out while I couldn't. There were 2 sliding doors to walk out, as I half started walking through the first sliding doors into a corridor oner of the security said to me ma'am did you pay for that as I turned my cart around I noticed the purse handle realizing I forgot about it. I did not try to steal this stupid purse, if I did I could've shoved it into my huge Burberry Bag that sat on top of it. I have never stole anything in my life. I have no criminal record. I just received No Tresspassing Notice, no police were called nor any reports filed. I received a settlement offer notice of $250.00 from a Law Firm in Orlando, Florida Palmer, Reifler & Assoc. After speaking with the officials many time at The Goodwill Store, they explained its out of there hands they follow the same protocol with everyone & most of the money will go to the Goodwill Mission. So as I'm a single mom and I am in hardship right now (I am not making any kind of any excuses) but I never admitted to this theft, I still sent the Law firm the $250.00 in money order form, writing on the front & back of the chk: "This settlement is not an admittance of me attempting to commit to the theft accusation & reserve the right to dispute at any time in the future. Meanwhile, they received my chk. I just received another demand letter from this corrupted law Firm for in the amount of $600.00, making 3 mthly payment installments of $210.00 ea. = $ $630.00 + what I already paid $250.00 = $850.00?
This Law firm, Palmer, Reifler & Assoc. has many extortion lawsuits & class action suits against them, including Miami Case #: 08-218-CIV - class action. Wherefore, I am wrongfully accused, abused by further threatening me with a Civil Claim Lawsuit under the Statute (720 lll 5/16-27. Comp. Stat.). This Law Firm, Palmer, Reifler & Assoc., located in Orlando, Florida, they are abusing this Legislation "civil recovery statutes", by creating a massive collection mill whereby hundreds of thousand of letters generated ea. & every mth. sent to me & millions of others. They have joined forces with non-Lawyers who had experienced in retail loss prevention & implemented an intricate nationwide scheme sending by utilizing sophisticated computer software without any Attorney review. These letters are meant to harass, intimidate & coerce consumers into paying Large fines over & over again by threatening Civil Action by a local Attorney - they are not LOCAL?
Once again, The Palmer, Reifler & Assoc. are abusing this Legislation, "civil recovery statutes" by sending these DEMAND LETTERS that are oppressive form of civil recovery EXTORTING tens of thousands of MILLIONS of DOLLARS, deceptively & unfairly sneakily recouping for themselves and their retail clients.
Please help me with any advise on what I should do next? I really want to hire an attorney and file a counter suit against Goodwill Store for defimation of character and Palmer Firm both for extortion. This is not right!!! ???
Thanks for any help.
Vera
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/3/2015
Criminal Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Did they actually cash the check for $250?
And you mention "defamation". Defamation is a civil cause of action where a party makes a false statement of fact to a third party, that causes specific quantifiable damages. Did that happen in your case?
see my attachment response pls
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I looked at the attachment, which is a PDF file, but it only seems to have a few lines of your response (on page 2 of the file, if you look at it yourself). Could you please write that in the text box here and submit it, so I can view the text itself? The attachment doesn't have the full response.