How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently live in Illinois, I have my whole life and have

Customer Question

I currently live in Illinois, I have my whole life and have felonies in Illinois, I am 44 years old and have been out of prison since 2005 and own my own business for 7 years now, is there any state I can move to that would allow me to get my rights back x
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help you.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
What type of felony convictions do you have? Is it just one or multiple felony convictions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
63 months for distribution of cocaine in the federal system and a burglary charge 26 years ago
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.
Unfortunately, with a federal felony conviction, the only way person's civil rights can be restored is with a full pardon from the president, which are rarely granted, but even if the full presidential pardon is obtained, also another full pardon would have to be obtained from the governor of the state where felony burglary conviction took place.
It is a good idea to consult with an experienced local pardon law attorney and this attorney can evaluate your specific case to see if there is any chance of getting your civil rights restored.
You can find an experienced and skilled local pardon law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to pardon law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters.
I wish you the best of luck!
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.