How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 12206
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter who is a junior in High school was molested

Customer Question

My granddaughter who is a junior in High school was molested by a classmate who went to her church. He has a rap sheet for drug dealing also and yet the school and the police won't do anything about it. He also molested his little sister--comes from a broken home, and deals drugs apparently on school grounds. Can this young man beheld accountable in some way? My granddaughter tried to commit suicide and is under medical and psychological care, and has PTSD. Also we just heard that he got another classmate pregnant. I moved here from Wisconsin a couple of years ago when I retired from teaching, and I am not familiar with Illinois laws, and my daughter is trying to find out more about her options. I just now discovered this site and would like to see if we can bring some sort of justice, and also monitor the high school that was touted to be one of the best in the area, tho they are not cooperating very well in this instance. They even refused to let her change classes as the "Perp" is in two of her classes, and she gets physically ill seeing him. x

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.
The best option is to ask the police to file criminal charges. But it appears you already tried that to no avail. Accordingly, you'll need to take this matter up in civil court. In other words, your granddaughter can sue the boy for punitive damages, and she can also request a restraining order. If your granddaughter is still a minor, then the lawsuit can be brought by a parent or guardian. Ideally, an attorney would be hired.
As for the school, if a restraining order were granted, then the school would have no choice but to move either the boy or your granddaughter. Again, an attorney should be hired.
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.