Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My granddaughter who is a junior in High school was molested

Customer Question
My granddaughter who is a...

My granddaughter who is a junior in High school was molested by a classmate who went to her church. He has a rap sheet for drug dealing also and yet the school and the police won't do anything about it. He also molested his little sister--comes from a broken home, and deals drugs apparently on school grounds. Can this young man beheld accountable in some way? My granddaughter tried to commit suicide and is under medical and psychological care, and has PTSD. Also we just heard that he got another classmate pregnant. I moved here from Wisconsin a couple of years ago when I retired from teaching, and I am not familiar with Illinois laws, and my daughter is trying to find out more about her options. I just now discovered this site and would like to see if we can bring some sort of justice, and also monitor the high school that was touted to be one of the best in the area, tho they are not cooperating very well in this instance. They even refused to let her change classes as the "Perp" is in two of her classes, and she gets physically ill seeing him. x

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/30/2015
Criminal Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.
The best option is to ask the police to file criminal charges. But it appears you already tried that to no avail. Accordingly, you'll need to take this matter up in civil court. In other words, your granddaughter can sue the boy for punitive damages, and she can also request a restraining order. If your granddaughter is still a minor, then the lawsuit can be brought by a parent or guardian. Ideally, an attorney would be hired.
As for the school, if a restraining order were granted, then the school would have no choice but to move either the boy or your granddaughter. Again, an attorney should be hired.
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney