CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

A police report was filed on me someone's prescri

Customer Question

A police report was filed on me for taking someone's prescription medication . She realized I too it & I gave it back once I left her house she filed a police report . I gave no prior record . What can I expect to happen ? x

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. Just to be clear, you were in this persons home and they saw you take their medication? They confronted you and they gave it back and they called the police? Do you know why they would do this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is correct . She saw me take it and asked for it back after she counted the medication and realized some was missing . I gAve it all back to her and Lohengrin left the house . Next thing I know I get a a text stating the police are there and asked if I wanted to come give a statement .
Did you give a statement? Have the police contacted you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I did not give a statement and no the poll have not contacted me
Thank you. At this time, it is going to be your word against hers. You have no legal obligation to speak with the police or make a statement and if you do, it can be used against you. They did not catch you in possession of the controlled substance which is a good thing, so the question would be if there is enough evidence and if they have the desire, to try and charge you with the theft. Yes, the medication was returned by there was till an unauthorized take of it, allegedly. The police may have filed a report but there may not be enough evidence or grounds to turn the matter over to be filed with the State, so at this time, you can wait and see if they contact you or charges are filed. If they are going to proceed, they will likely ask that you come in and make a statement, at which time it would be in your best interest to retain legal counsel and not say anything, without them present.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not at this time . Just waiting to see if the police will contact me . The incident happened yesterday afternoon . I still have not heard anything . How long does the process take if they issue a warrant ?
Prior to issuing a warrant, I am inclined to believe they would contact you, try and speak with you and ask for you to come in. It may take a week or so for them to gather the information and decide if they are going to arrest and the longer the better, if you do not hear anything. Please let me know if there is anything else and I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help prior to leaving, so I can get credit. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With the information I provided to you think they will issue a warrant since I returned the medication before leaving house & police being called ? I feel if she wanted me to go to jail she would if called the police while I was there to catch me with the pills .
Its tough to say. Seeing how you caught you, confronted you and you gave it back and left and you are a friend, they may not necessarily pursue this unless she is animate about it.