How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26855
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm trying to assist a friend with information with sentence reduction. Wanting to kn

Customer Question

I'm trying to assist a friend with information with sentence reduction. Wanting to know how to correct modify or reduce 99 year sentence in state of Texas with 21 years currently served. Here's some facts of felony murder case which involved a high speed chase and vehicle accident which caused an individuals death. Unknowingly practicing attorney license was suspended due to fail to pay bar dues, failure to preserve an error by failing to object within a timely manner after DA introduced an extraneous offense during penalty phase, filed no motions for discovery nor pre trial motion. No visits to discuss case but merely stated that individual couldn't be convicted of felony murder. x
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
If he's already filed for an appeal and a habeas and been denied on these issues, while he can certainly file a motion to reduce his sentence, the likelihood of this being granted by the judge before whom he was found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in the first place is very low, especially as a pro se motion. It would be best to have a lawyer do the petition, as you could expect a great deal of opposition from the family of the complainant and the DA's office.
He can also, however, apply to the governor for clemency, which he could do for himself. I can link you to the application forms here:

Related Criminal Law Questions