How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27100
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone stole a great deal of money from me by forging checks

Customer Question

someone stole a great deal of money from me by forging checks on my account. It happened 13 years ago. Can I still report the theft to police and get the money back?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
There are statutes of limitations that determine when a case gets too old for it to be handled in court. In Arizona, you would have 7 years from the last of these incidents to press charges. So you are well outside of the statute of limitations and the case is too old to be prosecuted.
There are exceptions, however. If all of this time you had no idea who the perpetrator was but that has only come to light now, the statute of limitations would not be running. Also, if the perpetrator moved out of state, the statute would stop running.
If you fall into an exception, you would have to report the forgery to the police and say that you want charges pressed. If you've known all along who this person was and he's been in state where you could find him, it's too late to have him prosecuted.