How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29996
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in St. Louis MO, I have a residence in NJ. My mother

Customer Question

I live in St. Louis MO, I have a residence in NJ. My mother in law passed away and we have her car. We forgot that the inspection and registration has expired and my uncle from Florida was staying at our place, and I forgot to tell him no to drive the car. He was stopped and given tickets for failure to show proof of insurance. The car was insured at the time, but the insurance card was not in it. Also received tickets for expired registration and inspection. Is it just better for him to plead guilty and pay the fines? How will this affect his driving record? x
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
These are pretty serious tickets. No insurance isn't like a speeding ticket - it's a misdemeanor. Driving without insurance is a 4-point offense. The judge has discretion to sentence him to up to 15 days in jail and suspend his license, on top of the fine. So, it will not only go on his insurance if he pleads guilty and pays, it mean he's not able to drive. This is absolutely not the best option. What he needs to do is show proof of insurance.
If you can get the registered and send him to court with proof of registration, inspection, and insurance, it could save him a thousand dollars or more in the long run (since his insurance will increase dramatically if he gets 4 points), depending on what county you live in. The court will usually drastically reduce fines once the problems with the vehicle are corrected.
His other option is to ask the judge to appoint an attorney for him at no cost when he goes to court. An attorney may be able to help him reduce the penalties associated with driving an uninsured vehicle. Because of the possibility that he could serve time in jail, if he cannot afford a lawyer, the judge will appoint one at no charge.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.