How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To Whom It May Concern, there. My name is

Customer Question

To Whom It May Concern,
Hi there. My name is***** from
Toowoomba, Queensland Australia. I am inquiring about how, or if, I can file a
retraining order against an individual in Rogerville, MO, USA, who
has been cyberstalking me via email for about a year and more recently,
making threats to contact people in my offline life (my landlord, my
doctor, my social security department, my neighbours) in retaliation for
an online "relationship" that went sour. I have email evidence of this.
I would like to know if a lawyer can act for me (file a retraining order) given that I am in Australia
and she (who is making these threats) is in the United States.
I am not seeking financial damages, I simply want to stop her from
potentially contacting people in my offline life.
I look forward to your reply.
Yours Faithfully,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Given that this is an internet crime, as opposed to a physical threat of violence, I would recommend making a report to the FBI's internet crime center (civil restraining orders are designed to prevent threats of imminent physical harm or death, which would not apply to cyberstalking cases - the FBI task force is dedicated to internet crime).
To file a complaint with the FBI, use this link:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok William, thank you for that. I will consider the situation.Regards,
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
I do wish you the best of luck with this Ben, and hopefully a quick resolution.Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you today.Thank you again, and again I do wish you the best.Bill