Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a case be retried if the lawyer who won the case has been…

Customer Question
can a case be retried...
can a case be retried if the lawyer who won the case has been disbarred
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/26/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
The answer to your question depends on the facts and circumstances that surround the disbarment. If the reason for the disbarment stems directly from the facts and circumstances of the case in question, then that may trigger grounds for a new trial.
A new trial can be granted if new evidence that was not available at the time of the trial becomes available that could alter the original verdict, or that had a substantial likelihood of altering the verdict had it been available at trial.
So, if the evidence surrounding the disbarment of the attorney would have or could have materially altered the trial verdict, then a new trial can be granted.
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.
Please rate my answer positively if this helps at all.
Best!
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward.