How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27126
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a public intoxication charge around sept. Of 1999,

Customer Question

Hi I got a public intoxication charge around sept. Of 1999, I went to jail for 72 hours they let me out , I later went to court paid on my fine still owed a 145 dollars.Never been in trouble since. is there a statue of limatations sincerely ***** ***** so how do I get rid of it sincerely ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
You get rid of it by going back to court and paying the balance of your fine. There is likely a warrant for your failure to have completed your sentence, which is how the police officer was able to see it. There is no statue of limitations on a criminal warrant.
The fee, after 16 years, is probably way above $145 with interest and penalties. Call the court where your case was pending, speak to a clerk, and find out if you can just come in and pay the fine. Ask him what the fine is. If he tells you that you would have to come back to court, get the old case on the calendar and come before the judge, then it's best you show up with a lawyer, because it's possible that the judge could set bail on you and make you sit in jail until the prosecutor digs up the 16 year old file and your debt is figured out.
I'm sure that this is not what you want to hear, but any kind of a warrant is a bad news situation, and the only way to resolve it is to go back before the judge who issued it, get the warrant lifted and pay off your sentence requirement. It is possible that a lawyer may be able to do this on your behalf, but you'd have to consult with a local attorney, let him look into the case and see if he believes he can take care of this matter for you without your having to come in yourself.