Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I got a public intoxication charge around sept. Of 1999,

Customer Question
Hi I got a public...
Hi I got a public intoxication charge around sept. Of 1999, I went to jail for 72 hours they let me out , I later went to court paid on my fine still owed a 145 dollars.Never been in trouble since. is there a statue of limatations sincerely ***** ***** so how do I get rid of it sincerely ***** *****
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/24/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 3 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
You get rid of it by going back to court and paying the balance of your fine. There is likely a warrant for your failure to have completed your sentence, which is how the police officer was able to see it. There is no statue of limitations on a criminal warrant.
The fee, after 16 years, is probably way above $145 with interest and penalties. Call the court where your case was pending, speak to a clerk, and find out if you can just come in and pay the fine. Ask him what the fine is. If he tells you that you would have to come back to court, get the old case on the calendar and come before the judge, then it's best you show up with a lawyer, because it's possible that the judge could set bail on you and make you sit in jail until the prosecutor digs up the 16 year old file and your debt is figured out.
I'm sure that this is not what you want to hear, but any kind of a warrant is a bad news situation, and the only way to resolve it is to go back before the judge who issued it, get the warrant lifted and pay off your sentence requirement. It is possible that a lawyer may be able to do this on your behalf, but you'd have to consult with a local attorney, let him look into the case and see if he believes he can take care of this matter for you without your having to come in yourself.