Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What can I be charged with assault

Customer Question
what can I be charged...
what can I be charged with for simple assault
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/22/2015
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you for your question.
In Pennsylvania, in the absence of any circumstances warranting greater or lesser punishment, simple assault is a second degree misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for up to two years and a fine of up to $5,000.
Simple assault against a child under the age of 12 by an adult aged 21 or older is a first degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to five years' imprisonment and a fine of up to $10,000.
Simple assault committed in the course of a fight entered into by mutual consent is a third degree misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment up to one year and a fine of up to $2,500.
(18 Pa. Con. Stat. §§ 1101, 1104, 2701.)
Probation in lieu of jail time is common, especially if this was a first offense for you, and typically in a matter like this will include anger management and community service as part of the probation terms. I don't see anything abnormal about your sentence.