How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28364
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with a misdemeanor crime in ND theft

Customer Question

I was charged with a misdemeanor crime in ND for petty theft and was placed on 1 year unsupervised probation. I have a 100% clean record besides that crime and still have 4 months of unsupervised probation left to serve. As an avid outdoorsman and hunter I seem to always be buying firearms and weapons for different seasons. I recently tried to pitches a handgun for a self defense carry while hunting in wolf/coyote country and was denied due to be on unsupervised probation. Is there any way I could have this lifted? I may also add that the judge did understand what happened and I believe he and the store owner knew I only made a mistake and paid them back in full right away and wrote an apology letter to the store owner and spoke with him directly and he accepted my appology and wished me luck with my future. I have since not got in any sort of trouble with the law. can I get this lifted to purchase my handgun?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Based upon what you shared above, you will have to wait until your probation is up and terminated before you can buy the handgun. If you want this to happen sooner, you would need to file a motion with the court and ask for it to be terminated early. If you have been in probation for 8 months, have complied with the terms and conditions and not had any problems, the Judge can consider it upon the showing of good cause. This is not a matter of lifting the condition, it is a matter of either waiting for probation to end or having it terminated early.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!