How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27175
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hired a law firm in the state of California to help me

Customer Question

I hired a law firm in the state of California to help me with my loan modification. I have paid $15,000 and signed a contract with them. It has been over 9 months now and I have not seen ANY proof of their services. They keep asking me to send in my 2
months bank statements and paycheck stubs and I keep giving it to them because I know that's protocol. I have asked them for proof of service on their end but have yet to receive anything. I asked them to forward me copies of any paperwork that had been submitted
so far, any paperwork proving communication with Ocwen, the bank that has my loan, and NOTHING. They keep telling me they are going to get it together and send it but they have not given me anything. What are my options here at this point? Ocwen keeps calling
me and sending me letters of non-payment. When I speak to the Ocwen representative, they tell me that they have not received anything from the law firm and when I tell the law firm this, they say that Ocwen's "customer service" doesn't know anything and that
I have to stop talking with Ocwen because that is in breach of contract. What can I do? I don't want to lose my house.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. At this point, you likely want to speak with the attorney at the firm handling your loan modification and demand a status on the matter. You can advise them that if they do not provide you with a status update and proof of what has been done with your file over the past 9 months, that you will contact the CA Bar and file a complaint, along with the AG and file a complaint with them, if there is fraud going on at this time. Moreover, you may have a basis to sue them for breach of contract, if they have failed to perform under it, after paying them the agreed upon price and not receiving what was agreed to. While they can not guarantee a modification, they can guarantee that they will work the matter and put forth a good faith effort to get an answer from the lender and submit all the necessary documents.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I hired them, they were under **** Law Group. Then all of a sudden, they closed down their offices in Downtown LA, changed their phone number completely and moved to Encino and is now going under the name Law offices of **** *****. I looked up the guys name, whom I've never met, and I did find his CA state bar info. Legally, because my contract was under *****law group, and not with their new company name, could they say they are not responsible for my case? What does AG stand for?
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
No, they could not. They would still represent you and be responsible for the files. Changing their firm name does not mean they can just dump their case load. AG stands for Attorney General
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I do decide to sue, what are the steps I need to take? I have never sued anyone before so I am clueless.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
For something like this, you are going to need to retain an attorney. Moreover, if you file a Bar complaint and they get involved, they may be able to recover the money on your behalf, if they have to discipline the attorney.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
criminal attorney?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So first thing for me to do is to file a complaint with the CA State Bar along with a complaint to AG first. THEN hire an attorney or should I just let the attorney I hire handle all this?
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.
At this point, it would be best to consult with a civil attorney, if you are going to sue them for the breach and then can review the facts and assess the situation. They will advise you if a complaint should also be filed with the Bar and State, assuming this can not be settled. The law firm, out of fear of litigation and a complaint, may rather settle with you and you will not even have to sue.

Related Criminal Law Questions