How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26826
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i get bonded out on a ten day minimum jail sentence? for

Customer Question

can i get bonded out on a ten day minimum jail sentence? for second dui in colorado jefferson county
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you have taken a plea and are presently serving a sentence, there is no possibility of bond. If you've been arrested on a DUI where, if convicted, there's a 10-day minimum sentence, bond should be set on your case at your arraignmentl.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so i freaked out before arraignment and called a lawyer who i could not afford... im going to pretrial tomorrow without a lawyer.. and after all i just want to plead guilty and serve what i need to serve, but i was wondering if the punishment comes with a ten day minimum jail sentence if i can get bonded out with that sentence

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for elaborating.

If you plead guilty to the DUI, you will face a minimum of ten days in jail, and, of course, it could be more. So you do not want to plead guilty unless you know the exact sentence you're going to get in exchange for your plea. One way or the other, however, you will be placed in jail on your sentence date and you will not be able to bond out. You'll have to serve your sentence and be released.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can i ask for continuous, for my time to work and afford a lawyer?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
You are not required to plead guilty. And you should be able to ask for a continuance to come back with a lawyer. Many lawyers these days take credit cards, which may be helpful to you.

Related Criminal Law Questions