Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Can i get bonded out on a ten day minimum jail sentence? for

Customer Question

can i get bonded out on a ten day minimum jail sentence? for second dui in colorado jefferson county
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

I'm not sure I understand your question. If you have taken a plea and are presently serving a sentence, there is no possibility of bond. If you've been arrested on a DUI where, if convicted, there's a 10-day minimum sentence, bond should be set on your case at your arraignmentl.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so i freaked out before arraignment and called a lawyer who i could not afford... im going to pretrial tomorrow without a lawyer.. and after all i just want to plead guilty and serve what i need to serve, but i was wondering if the punishment comes with a ten day minimum jail sentence if i can get bonded out with that sentence

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for elaborating.

If you plead guilty to the DUI, you will face a minimum of ten days in jail, and, of course, it could be more. So you do not want to plead guilty unless you know the exact sentence you're going to get in exchange for your plea. One way or the other, however, you will be placed in jail on your sentence date and you will not be able to bond out. You'll have to serve your sentence and be released.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can i ask for continuous, for my time to work and afford a lawyer?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
You are not required to plead guilty. And you should be able to ask for a continuance to come back with a lawyer. Many lawyers these days take credit cards, which may be helpful to you.