Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I had a civil TRO ffiled against me while my ex wife

Customer Question
Hi, I had a civil TRO...
I had a civil TRO ffiled against me while my ex wife and I were going through a divorce in the state of Hawaii. I was recently denied for a job because of it. How can I get this removed from my record?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/21/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 3 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Criminal records can be expunged, but that does not apply to civil records. With civil records, states heavily favor public access and there's no comparable provision to remove them.
What you could do, however, would be to retain a lawyer to petition the court to seal the record of the old restraining order. A judge might be willing to do that for you after all this time, especially if the order is no longer in effect and there were no violations of the order.