Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My boyfriend was in a fight earlier this year. It was his first

Customer Question
legal altercation. The fight was...
My boyfriend was in a fight earlier this year. It was his first legal altercation. The fight was instigated by the other student, a fraternity brother, but he ended up being much more injured. My boyfriend was charged with a misdemeanor and has no witnesses that the fight was started by the other student. The court process has been elongated quite a bit, for about 7 months now. His lawyer has been awful; nasty, treating my boyfriend like a criminal. Immediately following the charges, my boyfriend got an order of protection against the other student. He has been out of legal trouble since. The kid is fine - he continued partying by the next week. My bf's lawyer has been threatening he might have to do jail time even though this is his first offense, he hasn't tried to be in touch with the student over the 10 months since the fight, and he hasn't been in trouble since. Is he looking at an ACD and the lawyer is just trying to make himself look good when nothing happens? Or can he really go to jail?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
PLEASE SEND ANSWER TO***@******.***. I put wrong e-mail previously.
5/18/2015
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 2 years ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
I certainly understand the situation and your concern. A charge like this, can carry with it, jail time. As such, his attorney does have a legal obligation to inform him of the possible consequences, if he goes to trial and loses, as the Judge could impose jail. Now, as a first time offender and if the victim really did not suffer any injuries, it may not be likely but could happen. The court could also impose a probationary sentence, if needed. If the other student started the fight and your boyfriend was defending himself, then he can go to trial and testify on his own behalf. Without any witnesses, it will be his word against the other students and up to the court to decide. Now, if they are offering him a diversion type program to keep his record clean, it is up to him to decide if he wants to take it, to resolve this. This way, he knows what he is getting. At the end of the day, the decision to go to trial or resolve this is up to him. He needs to do what is in his best interest, with the advice of his attorney as well.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty