Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I pleaded out on the DV misdemeanor without ajudication a few years ago. Is it consi

Customer Question

Hi
I pleaded out on the DV misdemeanor without ajudication a few years ago. Is it considered a conviction? How will look during a background check?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.

I think you're saying you got a deferred adjudication. That is, you took a plea, successfully completed your sentence, and then the case was set aside. That would not count as a conviction. Your record would show the arrest and the dismissal of the charges unless/until you take proactive steps to expunge or seal the dismissal from your criminal history if your state would allow you to do it.