How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27082
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did jail time without a license and not appearing

Customer Question

I did jail time for driving without a license and not appearing in court about 2 years ago. I tried to get my license but still had 2 tickets I needed to clear. I tried for many months and the courts could not find the ticket dock number in which I needed resolution. After a few months out of site out of mind. I was recently pulled over and was cited for not having a DL insurance or car registration and speeding. I do have the insurance and car registration just did not have them in the car. I don't have a DL and the speeding I cam say I was going over the limit but not the speed the officer stated I was "recorded at" . I have court tomorrow in Kern county and I'm in the ER now and getting admired. I wrote an e mail off the Website but do not want to get a Warrent or have this situation become escalade.
Please advise?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
What is the question that you wish to ask?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wanted an extension to be able to appear in court. I e mailed through the website but not sure if it will be valid.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
Every court has its own way of dealing with this, but you cannot go wrong doing the following:
Tomorrow morning, first thing, as soon as the courts open, call the court and ask to speak to a court clerk. Explain to the that you have a case on the calendar but that you've been admitted to the hospital and will be unable to get there. Let the clerk know that you've already sent an email, but you want to make sure that the judge gets your message. The clerk will tell you what to do. Make sure to get his name and the names of anyone else who assists you, so that you know who you spoke to if it becomes an issue.
On Tuesday morning, call back to make sure there's no warrant and to get your new date. If there is a warrant, as soon as you are released from the hospital, go to court to return on the warrant with proof that you were in the hospital on your court date and with the names of the court employees you spoke to. The judge will lift the warrant and all should be well.

Related Criminal Law Questions