Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Just trying to see how to find out if you are being subpoenaed

Customer Question

just trying to see how to find out if you are being subpoenaed to court idk someone showed up at my house i wasn't home and i have no idea why the only two things that i could think of would be my daughters father trying to take me back to court for her or something to do with the car accident just got in
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did you receive an actual subpoena yet? The only ways to find out if you are being subpoenaed (unless you receive the subpoena or you ask the person you think is sending you the subpoena) would be to call the party who tried to serve you if they left a card or call the local sheriff's office to see if they tried to serve you.
Subpoenas are not filed in the court records until after they are served on the party, so you cannot go to the clerk of court's office to check the records there as it would do you no good as it would not be in those records until service is made on you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no whoever they were left no information did not say anything except asking if i was home and that they had important documents for me
Thank you for your reply
All you can do then is check with the sheriff to see if they tried to serve you. Other than that you can check with the people you think may be trying to have you served, but that is all you can do at this point besides checking at the court clerk's office to see if you are named in any civil actions and then look at the files to see what the case may be (again the subpoena will not be in the file if it was not served yet).