Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My brothers were arrested robbery and now investigators

Customer Question

my brothers were arrested for armed robbery and now investigators are wanting to question me. Should I meet with police without an attorney.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Absolutely NOT. First of all, if you are also a suspect, the last thing you ever want to do is to talk to the police about this incident, with or without an attorney. Police are trained interrogators and skillful manipulators of evidence and cooperating with the police in a situation like this is a good way to end up signing some kind of confession and getting arrested, even when you think your information is helpful to you.
If you are NOT a suspect, then the police are putting you in a situation where you may one day be compelled to testify against your brothers.
So if the police contact you again, tell them that you have nothing that you wish to discuss with them until you first discuss this with a lawyer. They will get the message and they should stop pressing you. They know that you have a right to remain silent and to refrain from making incriminating statements. They are hoping you won't exercise that right.