How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 30393
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was dating a man year who is an illegal

Customer Question

I was dating a man for a year who is an illegal alien working in New Jersey. In the last month or so of our deteriorating relationship He punched me in my face and gave me a black eye. The next day when he saw how bad I looked He first attempted to sweet talk me out of going to the police... He convinced me to stay inside and not see my friends or go to work for over a week so no one would see me. He feared being arrested and being deported. I readily obliged as I was ashamed and embarrassed to see anyone. Within a few weeks this escalated to him threatening me physically and with his "mafia" connections when it was clear our relationship was over. I was genuinely scared at the time and he caused me extreme anxiety. This incident occurred 6 months ago in NY where I still live and he was living at the time. He now lives in NJ.
This is my question, CAN I STILL HAVE HIM ARRESTED? One friend that I did see several days after the incident urged me to take a few photos of the injuries i sustained which I did and still have as evidence. I am beyond mad at myself for not taking immediate action because I felt ashamed allowing him to intimidate me. What options do I have at this point? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at *******.
Thank you very much.
-**** *******, ***************
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear that this happened.
Yes, you can still report it. You can report the assault to police, and you can contact immigration to let them know that he's living here illegally. (If he's arrested, police will figure that out on their own.)
The statute of limitations is one year from the date the incident occurred. If he is living in New Jersey and not spending time in New York at all, the statute is actually paused, which means that the DA gets a little more time to prosecute him. (That wouldn't apply if he's working in New York or visiting frequently.) Still, any delays could be used to his advantage in court, so it is better not to wait any more if you want to press charges.
If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.