Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Motion to expunge criminal conviction of drugs

Customer Question

motion to expunge criminal conviction of drugs
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
New York doesn't expunge criminal cases. It seals them when they are eligible by operation of law. Up until 2009, convictions in New York State could not be sealed, but then the law changed as applied to a certain line of cases.
In order to get a drug felony or misdemeanor conviction sealed, you would have to have participated in the state's drug diversion program or its court-mandated equivalent, along with any other sentence requirements relating to your case, and not have any further negative contact with the law.
Does that apply to you? If it does, you can prepare a motion. If not, your motion will not be successful.