How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26767
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Motion to expunge criminal conviction of drugs

Customer Question

motion to expunge criminal conviction of drugs
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
New York doesn't expunge criminal cases. It seals them when they are eligible by operation of law. Up until 2009, convictions in New York State could not be sealed, but then the law changed as applied to a certain line of cases.
In order to get a drug felony or misdemeanor conviction sealed, you would have to have participated in the state's drug diversion program or its court-mandated equivalent, along with any other sentence requirements relating to your case, and not have any further negative contact with the law.
Does that apply to you? If it does, you can prepare a motion. If not, your motion will not be successful.