Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Motion to expunge criminal conviction of drugs

Customer Question
motion to expunge criminal conviction of drugs
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/12/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
New York doesn't expunge criminal cases. It seals them when they are eligible by operation of law. Up until 2009, convictions in New York State could not be sealed, but then the law changed as applied to a certain line of cases.
In order to get a drug felony or misdemeanor conviction sealed, you would have to have participated in the state's drug diversion program or its court-mandated equivalent, along with any other sentence requirements relating to your case, and not have any further negative contact with the law.
Does that apply to you? If it does, you can prepare a motion. If not, your motion will not be successful.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD