Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

A friend of mine took $200 from his employer in nj, what are

Customer Question
the charger that go with...
A friend of mine took $200 from his employer in nj, what are the charger that go with this offense
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/12/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
My name is ***** ***** I am a experienced criminal lawyer.
Stealing from your employer is embezzlement. In NJ, if the theft is $200 but less than $500 such a theft would be a crime of the 4th degree. A 4th degree offense is indictable in NJ and carries a maximum possible penalty of 18 months in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000.
Since a theft for less than $200 is a disorderly person's offense, it is possible that with the assistance of a lawyer the prosecutor may agree to reduce the charges here, and it may even be possible to get a deferred adjudication -- a special form of probation where you work off your conviction and can get your case dismissed upon successful completion of your sentencing requirements. In any case, however, on a first arrest, jail would be unlikely and the typical deal that a prosecutor will offer will involve probation and restitution to the employer.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD