Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a grand larceny charge n i got a petty theft charge

Customer Question
while awaiting trial what do...
i have a grand larceny charge n i got a petty theft charge while awaiting trial what do i do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/5/2015
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced New York criminal lawyer. You can do a coupld of things, as your attorney will no doubt tell you: you can get a package deal with both cases; you can plead not guilty on the petty larceny and move the case towards trial, which will delay any conviction until after you have resolved the felony matter; you can plead out the petit larceny and just get it behind you if you can get a non-incarceratory disposition; or you can eventually go to trial on the petit larceny as well. If you choose to plead the misdemeanor out now and you plan on taking the stand on your behalf, then the conviction could be used against you in your grand larceny trial to allow the DA to show the jury that you are the type of person who is likely to commit a theft offense. You should discuss your options with your lawyer, but he'd probably want to keep the new case open and wait until the close of your grand larceny case to resolve it. If you end up convicted of a felony, felony time would absorb any misdemeanor time anyway, so you wouldn't have to do any additional time on the misdemeanor, even if you took a ple that gave you time. If you end up acquitted of the grand larceny, you could probably dispose of the petit larceny with a fine, community service, or probation or go to trial on that case too.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD