Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I believe i was just harassed by the Sheriffs of my county.

Customer Question

I believe i was just harassed by the Sheriffs of my county. Had a gun to my head, put in handcuffs and the back of a squad car. The whole time they would not tell me why they pulled me over. Searched my car, I'm not on probation. In the end they uncuff me, tell me I had a license plate light out. Is this not harassment?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
I believe you may have been harassed too. It's possible that you matched a description of someone they were looking for and had a legitimate purpose for the stop and the detention, but I don't see that here. Did you actually have a broken tail light and did they ticket you for that?
You need to complain of this to the officer's superiors, to the chief of police, to Internal Affairs and to the state's attorney general.
You can also contact a civil rights lawyer and see if you have a viable suit against the county, but because you sustained no economic damages as a direct result of the officers' misconduct, formal complaints are probably all you're going to be able to do. Still, an investigation into their practices will go on their permanent record and could get the officers sanctioned, perhaps even suspended or terminated.